Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lesson #21: In Sickness

Dear Baby,

We're all sick. All three of us. It's been days and I'm not sure there is an end in sight. How did we get sick? Well, I have my suspicions. I blame Gracie, the toddler with the sickly skinny mommy, who frequents our gymnastics class. See, you are currently in two classes. Gymnastics on Mondays and Music on Wednesdays. Last Saturday we were going to start Ballet but this illness has taken ahold of us and we had to bow out. So, when we are in these classes we are asked to make sure our kids are healthy so as not to get anyone else sick. And we honor this. Sure, it sucks to miss a class. You love it and it's a way for us both to get out of the house and have a little adventure. But, we call in sick and save the other children from facing the horrendous cough and green snot monster that has taken over our house. We do it for the greater good.

Not everyone else does this. Some people, the assholes, selfishly bring their kid in sick. And I fear that is how we all got this. SHAME ON YOU, Gracie's skinny mom! Don't bring your kid to class sick. And eat a freaking sandwich, for the love of God!

Another way you may have gotten sick is from kissing. Because, my dear baby, last week you had your first big honking smootch-fest. Standing right in front of me, too. Dang, that is bold. It was with Archie. A boy we have known for a year. He is the son of a co-worker and we started this gymnastics class because it was a way for you to play and for your mommy to chat with Archie's mommy.

Archie is a dreamboat. I get it. I do. White blond hair. Very boyish. Loves his mom. All good traits. And you, from the moment you saw him, loved him! Our first trek out with Archie was to see Noah's Ark at the Skirball. You spent a fair amount of time gazing at him as we tried to show you the cool looking alligator fashioned out of a violin case, pen caps and a glove. In that first visit you tried to hug Archie but he wasn't having it. So, you made that face that you make when you don't get what you want. I thought that face was acknowledgment of defeat. I know now that it just means you are resigned to getting what you want but you knew that it may take time. I admire that, baby. Patience is, indeed, a virtue.

So, we started class. And every week your behavior towards Archie was a little different. Some weeks you would only go on the equipment he went on. Other weeks you would ignore him completely. But this last week. With snotty Gracie on one side of the room infecting us all, you were all up in Archie's business. And as we parted ways -- when Archie's mommy asked if he was going to give you a hug -- he did. And you accepted it lovingly. The hug was long. Much too long for two toddlers. Archie's mommy and I looked at each other and started to laugh at this meaningful and long embrace. Like one of you were going off to war. You pulled away first. Which I was glad about. I mean, don't want to seem too eager, baby. Archie stood and smiled at you. And then something happened. This new face that I had never seen before. And before I knew what was happening...you planted a big wet kiss on Archie's lips. And Archie was not pulling away.

Now, baby, I was stunned. I mean, clearly this is behavior you learned from your mother. I love the kiss. It's the only thing about being married that I miss. I know I shouldn't say so but I loved me some kissing. I wish kisses were like handshakes...no, cause I don't want to kiss everyone. Perhaps I wish they were like hugs. Yes, reserved for a special few. A friendly wa to say, "I like you, friend. I think you are cool." Which is exactly what you did. So, yeah, I get wanting to grab and kiss your friend. But the fact that you actually did it. Wowza! I didn't think it would come over you at such a young age. I need to watch it. Watch that you don't become the floozy on the playground walking up to boys and kissing them.

But, more than anything, I was moved by your determination. You waited for that hug for months. And once you got it...you wanted more. And by God, you were gonna go for it. I admire that! But from now on, let's keep it to hugs, eh?

So, I suppose, if the reason we are all sick is because you decided to "go for it"...well, that I can live with.

Hope you are well enough to go to gymnastics tomorrow. And if we are, and if Gracie is there and you decide not to share with her...well, for tomorrow it'll be okay. Cause she's shared enough with us to last the rest of the year.

I love you, you little petri dish of disease.
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment