Thursday, December 31, 2009

Lesson #18: Transformation is always possible.

Dear Baby,
It is only a few hours until midnight. And a new year is upon us. 2010. You third new years. Your 2nd bday is only a few months away. And it's all flown by. The last decade in fact. Flown by.

To ring in the year 2000, your father and I (then only engaged) went with a bunch of friends to Peyton, Arizona to my friend Jason Sheppard's Grandparents Cabin in the woods. We were all mildly concerned that all of the computers of the world were going to go agro when they hit 2000 and were more concerned that crazy people were gonna do crazy things in anticipation of the new millennium. It seemed wise to head to the woods, drink beer and play video games. So, that is where I was a decade ago.

This year, with your grandparents in Vegas, your dad and I have decided on a quiet night at home. 2010 will be rung in with a whisper in the Kellett house this year. But, not to worry, we're confident that it will be a great one...

Which leads me to the "lesson" of the night. And it's about rebirth and transformation. You see, baby, the greatest thing about a new year is that is it new. We can try something different. Be someone new. We can transform into anyone we want. Now this doesn't have to only happen at the new year, of course, it can happen anytime. But something about a new year makes it more poetic. I encourage you to constantly be brave enough to try new things. Find new versions of you. Never get complacent, baby. Get comfortable being uncomfortable. It's exciting!

I'm not one for resolutions but I am one for goals...which is sort of the same thing. But for some reason I feel like assholes make resolutions and never commit to them. Whereas awesome people with vision and imagination (e.g. your momma) like to make goals. My "goals" for this year are to:
1. Get in shape (this is a lifelong goal...and NOT a resolution e.g. assholes)
2. Spend more time doing for others (I feel most in touch with God when I'm doing good for strangers)
3. Be a better mommy (More quality time with you. More classes together. Read more books about ways to help you be the coolest baby EVER, etc.)
4. Be a better wife (Cook for your dad. Say "please" and "thank you" more. Have more date nights, etc.)
5. Be a better friend (Spend more time with people I love to be friends with. Let them know how grateful I am that they are in my life, etc.)

Now, I also want to make more money and do better at work, etc. But those are the shallow asshole goals. The five above are the good stuff. And I do believe that transformation is possible within myself...meaning it is possible for you. Any time you want.

Today you went to the park twice. Once with me this morning and once this afternoon with your dad (while he let me go see a mediocre movie). You LOVE the park. Mostly the sand. You love to shape it and hold it and pour it from one container to another. You are also into the slide but the sand is your favorite. You love to laugh. You laugh at the craziest stuff. It's awesome to see you laugh. You kiss me on the lips a lot. Which is something I used to see parents do and think was weird...but I get it now. It's pure and sweet and lovely. You play with blocks and love to throw the ball and read tons of books and can pee pee and poo poo on the potty. This has been a good year for you, baby. And, to think, next year will be even more amazing. Even more transformative...I can't wait.

Happy New Year, baby.

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment