Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lesson #16 Chin Up

Dear Baby,

I am pretty good about researching.  Not excellent but pretty good.  Before you were born I must have read or skimmed 20+ books about babies and what to expect and what to buy, etc.  I sat down with every woman I knew who had given birth and asked them numerous questions.  I was so ready for your arrival.  Your room was ready.  I had the diapers. The bottles.  The best.  And now that you are almost two years-old, there is more to learn.  More books.  More friends with children that I call upon to make sure I am ready for what comes next.

So...what comes next is potty training.  It begins at around two years-old.  So, I've started to gather my research, thinking that I have a few months to prepare.  But tonight you come to your daddy and pat your bum and point at the toilet.  We were both stunned.  Could it be?  Were you telling us that you were ready to pee on the potty?  So, off goes the diaper and there you are...all twenty-seven pounds of you...sitting on the big toilet.  And before we knew it...you were peeing.  It was beyond exciting!  So, we get you a toddler toilet.  And you have already christened it!  And before bed you proudly peed in the toilet and then stood to look at your pee, proudly.  As you were looking at your pee and your dad and I did a happy dance you took a dump on the floor.  Awesome.  We all had a good laugh.  

So, I guess the lesson tonight is this...when you do something awesome you need to hold your head up high.  Be proud!  Even if what follows is shit.

Love, Mom

1 comment:

  1. Sooo timely an evening for me to read this. Tonight, ours peed on me in the bathtub for the first time. She laughed. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete